Research on the River
Get Ready for Research on the River 2018!
Save the Date: Tuesday, May 15, 2018
You'll need to bring sunscreen, a swimsuit and your thinking caps! We are currently planning the 2018 activities. This year, we will have breakout sessions to make sure the event is helpful for everyone whether you do research or scholarly creative projects.
What is Research on the River?
At C3, we believe the best research comes from interdisciplinary collaboration. When the principles of science combine with the power of the arts, an extraordinary magic happens. Research on the River appeals to both left-brained and right-brained researchers, and invites each participant to step out of their comfort zone to push the boundaries of their research and further develop their ideas with a unique curriculum focused on team work, creativity, and best practices in research development. Research on the River is a fun, interactive “playshop” that helps faculty from any college develop ideas for their research or scholarly creative activities by:
- understanding how to successfully structure a concept paper,
- answering the 7 questions of highly effective researchers, and
- arming faculty with tools & templates to fully develop ideas and successfully apply for funding.
Morning Session - Welcome
Float the San Marcos River & Lunch on the River
Unfortunately, we did not capture photos of the following participants:
Rebecca Deason, Psychology
Lori Assaf, Curriculum & Instruction
Final Pig Shooting Contest
Researchers are invited to bring their piggy bucks for a shot at the Pig of Research Despair. The Research who shoots the pig's bulls-eye the most times is awarded the "Big Bacon Trophy of Research Prosperity".
Grayson Lawrence (Communication Design) is the winner of the Big Bacon Trophy of Research Prosperity!
- Ruthi Caldwell, ROR Creator & Facilitator (Research Coordinator, C3 Research Center)
- Lisa Westerbeck, ROR Camp Counselor (Research Coordinator, C3 Research Center)
- Yvonne Natoli, ROR Camp Counselor & Spirit Animal Creator (Research Coordinator, College of Business)
- Kay Hetherly, ROR Camp Counselor & Piggy Princess (Research Coordinator, Office of Research and Sponsored Programs)
- Michele Dziadik-Willingham, ROR Camp Counselor (Research Coordinator, College of Health Professions)
- Jessica Schneider, ROR Camp Counselor (Research Coordinator, College of Liberal Arts)
- John Fleming, Financial and Creative Support (Dean, College of Fine Arts and Communication)
- Erik Fossum (Fossum Studios), CommDes alum, for drawing the Pig of Research Despair inciting feisty, competitive research development
- Vivian Medina, Student Worker, for fantastic digital design and ROR branding
- Ana Baer, Professor of Dance, ROR Planner & "Most Gracious" location provider
- Nicole Wesley, Professor of Dance, ROR Planner & Bodystorming Extraordinnaire
- Teri-Evans Palmer, Professor of Art & Design, C3 Advisory Chair, ROR Planner and crafty pop-pom provider
- Stacey Bennett and the students of the STEM Makers Space for awesome 3D printing and bacon trophy making skills